Healthy make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings. This is nutrient dense breakfast full of plant-based protein. The fruit compote topping can be eaten cold or warm.
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup buckwheat flakes (if you don’t have these, you can use oats instead)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or full fat plain yogurt or plain soya yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, soya milk or any other plant-based milk
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 6 medium strawberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Combine all overnight oat ingredients in a jar or container with a lid, stirring well. Refrigerate overnight.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat chopped rhubarb, strawberries, and water.
- Cook 3-5 minutes, or until fruit is softened and cooked down.
- Add maple syrup, and remove from heat.
- Put the fruit compote in a closed jar and store in fridge.
- The next morning, either heat the compote over low heat and add it on top of the overnight oats or serve it cold on top of the oats.
- You can add chopped nuts, shredded coconut or ground flax seeds to your oats to add flavour and even more plant-based protein to this nutrient rich breakfast.